Sunday, April 19, 2009

Broccoli Crown Salad

This is sort of a broccoli slaw that I first tried in Newfoundland years ago that was very tasty but a little too heavy on the mayo for my taste so I've modified it to keep it creamy but bring down the fat content a smidgen. Also I really like sweet with my salty so I added raisins. Since BBQ season is approaching this is a great summer recipe.

1 large broccoli crown, chopped into small pieces
1/2 large red onion finely chopped
1/2 cup mayo (I like Hellman's light)
1/2 cup yogurt (I use Liberty Organic Bio Yogurt)
1/2 cup shredded extra old or sharp cheddar cheese
1/4 real bacon bits
pepper

Chop broccoli up in 1cm pieces, basically you want really small florets and chunks of stalk. Toss in onions, bacon, cheddar. Stir yogurt and mayo together and then add to salad. Mix well and season to taste with pepper. Don't add salt! The bacon and the cheddar have more than enough salt to make it tasty. Cover and chill for at least 30 minutes. Goes great with BBQ pork chops.

No comments:

Post a Comment