Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Mighty Fine Chocolate Chip Cookies

This has been my secret Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe for years, and the funny part is that its not really that secret. I basically modified the recipe off the back of the Hersey Chipits bag and my mod is so subtle you would hardly notice the difference but my cookies do taste better. For years people have complimented me on the recipe and I chose to keep my mouth shut until now. So shhhhhh don't tell me secret just make the damn cookies.

2/3 cup melted butter (you can use margarine but butter is better)
2 cups lightly packed brown sugar
2 eggs
2 tbsp hot water
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract (not the fake stuff!)

Mix all of the above together well, I recommend using a Kitchenaid with the paddle, set on 2.

1 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Baking Powder
1/4 tsp Sea Salt (not table salt, its bitter)
2 2/3 cups All Purpose Flour

Stir in the above dry ingredients, again just slowly add everything while the Kitchenaid whirs away on 2.



Once mixed add in one 270 gram bag of Milk Chocolate Chipits or your fave chocolate chip. In the past I've been really decadent and chopped up candy bars. I highly recommend Skor and Dairymilk Fruit & Nut Bars. White chocolate, dried cranberries & pecans is yummy too. I've also added in toffee chips and pecans for a little crunch. Add in whatever cranks your tractor but really nothing beats the simplicity of just good old milk chocolate chips.

Preheat oven to 375, and chill the dough while you wait for the oven to heat up. Spoon out cookies on to a ungreased baking sheet and bake for 8 to 10 minutes. I like my cookies a little underdone so they stay moist so I bake them for about 9 minutes, just before they start to brown. Keep the dough in the fridge between baking as it keeps the cookies from running into each other as they bake. Only bake 1 sheet at a time, don't over crowd the sheet or your oven.

Cool on a rack and store in an air tight container. Makes about 2 dozen, the package claims it makes 4 to 5 dozen so clearly I'm doing something wrong. I use a tablespoon for portioning so I guess a teaspoon makes 4 dozen more dainty size cookies. I like manly size cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment